Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ohhhhh Positive

GREAT NEWS!!!  My contracting packet has officially been turned in.  It should be a matter of days before I'm a officially a contracted cadet.  I can't wait.  I've traveled a long road to get where I am but I'm proud of every minute spent working towards this.

The last thing needed was my blood type.  I got my results yesterday and come to find out I am O+.

Here are some facts about blood types:

  • O positive blood type is the most common blood type in the world.
  • 38% of the world's population is O positive. 
  • Out of that 38%, 53% are of Hispanic decent.
  • O blood types are universal donors meaning all other blood types can receive O blood type for transfusion purposes.
  • One donation of blood can save up to 3 lives.
  • If you are O positive, you can only receive red blood cells from O blood types. O negative can only receive from O negative blood type.  
  • If you are O positive, you can receive plasma from all blood types.

It's nice to know I'm a universal donor but unfortunately I can't donate.  I tried once back in high school and I was deferred permanently because I lived in Germany during 1993.  According to the American Red Cross, "Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. "  So long story short, I can never give blood...bummer.  There isn't even a waiver that I know of that I can get so I can be able to give blood.  But there are other things permanently deferred people can do to help support the American Red Cross.



  • Send an eCard inviting friends and family to donate

  • Join us on Facebook, inviting friends to donate or support the cause.

  • Help host a blood drive.

  • Volunteer your time at a blood drive.

  • Make a financial donation to support the mission of the American Red Cross.

  • I plan on volunteering for a blood drive near me soon.  So do what you can readers to help contribute to your community.  Whether it be giving blood and volunteering your services.  =)



    Today is my wedding anniversary with my husband.  I'm not sure what he has planned for me today.  I'm going to cook a nice healthy dinner tonight since my APFT suddenly got moved from Friday to tomorrow.  I also got him a gift which I can't say just yet.  He might check here to peek lol.  I'll give updates later this week.

    I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...