Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rainbows Everywhere!

Lately I've been obsessed with rainbow treats.  I've discovered a recipe website called Tablespoon.  This website has so many neat recipes and especially rainbow treats!  My neighbor is having an early birthday party for her daughter before her husband deploys so I volunteered to make the cake for the party.  Last night I attempted one of the rainbow treats I found on Tablespoon.  The recipe I used was actually to make mini rainbow cakes but instead of making the cake into small cakes, I left them as is.

The first step was to make the colored cake batter.  I used classic and neon food coloring for the colors as directed by the recipe.  For the orange, I used a 2:1 ration of classic yellow and red.  This gave me a nice vibrant orange.  Depending on how much batter you are using (I used a little over a cup of batter each), you'll need between 15-30 drops to make sure your cake gets a nice bright color.



This blue came from the neon food coloring set.  I only need about 15 drops to get this color.


The green was a mixture of classic and neon greens.  I didn't actually record how much of each I needed. I just kept mixing until I got a bright and vibrant green.  I think I used about 25 drops.


Next was to bake each color separately.  First, I put parchment paper in my baking pan and then spread one batch of cake batter.  The parchment paper helps with easy clean up and faster baking.  Once the batter is spread out on the parchment paper, it may not look like much but once the cake is done, it will be a nice thick cake.



Each layer bakes for only 10 minutes.  Like I said, the parchment paper made for faster baking.  I was able to switch the layers out quickly to cool.  Let each layer cool for at least 10 minutes.



Once all the layers have been baked and cooled, it's now time to stack and frost!


At first, it's going to look messy but once all the layers are stacked and frosted, I put the cake in the freezer for two hours.


After 2 hours in the freezer, I took the cake out and cut off the sides to make the layers even.  Next I frosted the top and viola!  You have yourself a rainbow cake!  It's not the most amazing but hey it looks pretty good for my first one!  I chose not to frost the sides because the colors were so pretty.


You can check out this recipe here.  Try it for yourself.  Post a comment and let me know how yours comes out.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...