Thursday, January 10, 2013

Julian of Norwich

It's amazing how much I learn about God in my classes at the university.  A place where most intellectuals try to shut Him out of. I'm taking a women's literature class right now and we are beginning to read works of literature written by women over 900 years ago.  One of the author's Julian of Norwich was a devoted, in our modernized world many consider her a fanatic, religious figure.  To be honest though, I don't find her works fanatic at all.  They describe her visions of God and it is surprising (and not at the same time) that her descriptions of God are extremely similar to the way God is portrayed in even today's modern churches.  "The Trinity is our maker, the Trinity is our keeper, the Trinity is our everlasting lover, the Trinity is endless joy and our bliss…"  (A quote from Chapter 4 of her book A Book of Showings) Is this not what believers today think of when they think of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?

Sometimes it gives me goosebumps when I get these revelations in my classes.  It's nice to know that God stays near.  He is in our schools, our books, and even in the people around us whether they realize it or not.  It's all about allowing God to open your eyes to his wonderful works.  Letting him reveal to me how he is the same now and he was in the 1300s is a wonderful feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...